At Nation’s, we understand that maintaining optimal nutrition is very important during periods of illness. In fact, good nutrition will positively influence treatment by:
- Preventing unintentional weight loss, malnutrition and dehydration
- Boosting the body’s immune system and ability to fight infection
- Providing nutrients to maintain strength and energy to better tolerate treatments and therapies
- Optimizing wound healing
- Improving quality of life
- Preventing hospitalization
All of our patients have access to our full time Registered Dietitian (RD). Whether you have questions about the diet your doctor prescribed or other nutrition concerns, we are here to offer support. Our Registered Dietitian is available to answer your questions and can provide an individualized nutrition plan based on your likes, dislikes, lifestyle, medical conditions, symptoms and concerns. It is our goal to help you achieve optimal health and feel your best.
Specialized Home Nutrition Support
Individuals with certain medical conditions may require specialized nutrition therapy. Enteral and Parenteral nutrition support allow patients who are unable to maintain their nutrition status through oral intake receive the nutrition they need through a tube or IV. The duration of the therapy may be short-term or continue for months or years.
- Enteral Nutrition (Tube Feeding): A type of nutrition therapy providing all essential nutrients through a tube into the stomach or small intestine. Tube feeding can be given through different types of tubes. Some are placed through the nose into the stomach or intestine and others can be surgically placed.
- Parenteral Nutrition (TPN or IV Nutrition): A type of nutrition therapy that bypasses the stomach and digestive tract. Parenteral Nutrition provides nutrients, hydration, electrolytes, vitamins and minerals in the bloodstream through a special IV catheter placed in a large vein in the chest or arm.
Your Home Nutrition Support Team
Close monitoring of individuals receiving specialized nutrition support requires a team approach. Members of your Nation’s home nutrition support team include your pharmacist, nurse and dietitian.
Your home nutrition support team will work together to make sure you receive appropriate care. We will monitor your nutrition status though home visits and phone calls and adjust your therapy as needed to promote optimal nutrition and quality of life.
We will maintain ongoing communication with your physician to ensure your treatment goals are being met.